[Rd] R crash with intToUtf8 on huge vectors (PR#14068)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 17 17:20:30 CET 2009

Basically you have exceeded a resource limit, and Windows has not
handled that gracefully (other OSes do in your example).  You are
trying to create a single 20Mb string and no one envisaged anyone
wanting to do that (nor that Windows would not fail gracefully,
although generically that comes as no real surprise)).

We'll change the method to cope with very large strings (more slowly),
but perhaps you could explain the real-world problem that needs 20Mb
strings to be produced from integer representations of Unicode points?