[Rd] R Usage Statistics

Kevin R. Coombes krcoombes at mdacc.tmc.edu
Thu Nov 19 19:47:47 CET 2009

Hi,

I got the following comment from the reviewer of a paper (describing an
algorithm implemented in R) that I submitted to BMC Bioinformatics:

"Finally, which useful for exploratory work and some prototyping,
neither R nor S-Plus are appropriate environments for deploying user
applications that would receive much use."

I can certainly respond by pointing out that CRAN contains more than
2000 packages and Bioconductor contains more than 350. However, does
anyone have statistics on how often R (and possibly some R packages) are
downloaded, or on how many people actually use R?

Thanks,
    Kevin