[Rd] CRAN Server download statistics (Was: R Usage Statistics)

Fellows, Ian ifellows at ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 23 01:18:11 CET 2009

Hi All,

It seems that the question of how may people use (or download) R, and it's packages is one that comes up on a fairly regular basis in a variety of forums (There was also recent thread on the subject on Stack Overflow). A couple of students at UCLA (including myself), wanted to address the issue, so we set up a system to get and parse the cran.stat.ucla.edu APACHE logs every night, and display some basic statistics. Right now, we have a working sketch of a site based on one week of observations.

http://neolab.stat.ucla.edu/cranstats/

We would very much like to incorporate data from all CRAN mirrors, including cran.r-project.org. We would also like to set this up in a way that is minimally invasive for the site administrators. Internally, our administrator has set up a protected directory with the last couple days of cran activity. We then pull that down using curl.

What would be the best and easiest way for the CRAN mirrors to share their data? Is the contact information for the administrators available anywhere?

Thank you,
Ian Fellows