[Rd] CRAN Server download statistics (Was: R Usage Statistics)

Fellows, Ian ifellows at ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 23 21:51:08 CET 2009

Thank you all for the interesting discussion.

I'm sensitive to the privacy issue. And am happy to work with any administrators to come up with a solution that works for them. We do not plan on having the raw logs be publicly available, so the IP addresses of the users would be known only to the originating CRAN server and UCLA. If there are concerns about UCLA having access to that information, the logs can be preprocessed on the CRAN server, and IP addresses hashed (though this would be a little more work for the administrator). Each month, non-identifiable summary statistics will be made available for public download and analysis.

Hadley,

The site is just a bit of a sketch at the moment.
1. You are right, the continent information should not be on the front page.

2. Though the number of downloads is useful information, the # of IP addresses is probably more representative of package popularity. When I did a static analysis of a couple of months worth of logs, I found that the package MetaMA had the most downloads, due to one IP address downloading it >1000 times. There is no perfect mapping between the logs and what we would really like to measure which is the unique installations. I think it's best just to present both.

3. The site is sort of ugly right now, those are good suggestions for improvement.

4. The sorted % windows will be replaced by a measure of package hotness, i.e. rate of change of download rate. It is a placeholder for the moment.

5. The time plot is a histogram of date, it looks like a bar chart because there is only one week of data currently.

6. Regarding package dependancies, I was thinking about also counting the number of top level downloads, as approximated by the number of downloads where a reverse dependancy was not downloaded in the next 5 min by the same IP.

There are a lot of interesting things that are not explored by the site as i stands. For example one of the members of the group is working on creating a MDS representation of the packages, so that  we can create a map where packages downloaded by similar IP addresses are clustered, creating a visual representation of the package space.

Ian