[Rd] "bug report" field in DESCRIPTION file?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Nov 26 18:38:14 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:

> This sounds like a good idea, though I would add a "package" parameter to
> the bug.report() function, rather than creating a new function.

I'm sure when I did help.search("bug") and help.search("report") this
morning I didn't see this function! Otherwise I would have suggested
that. bug.report(package="bazbrain"). Oh dear, no maintainer.

> Does the logic below sound right for bug.report() with the package
> specified?
>
> If there's a BugReports field, bug.report() calls browseURL() on that page.
>
> If not, it does more or less what it does now, but
> - it defaults "address" to the package maintainer. - it adds a line in the
> intro to the message pointing to the URL field if there was one.

 Martin Maechler's reservation about not being able to fill in the R
details for bug reports on trackers isn't too much of a problem, since
the bug tracker form could have fields for R version, session info
etc, or at least a big warning saying "Please include the following
info" (inside a <blink> tag).

 So how about if bug.report(package="foo") has a BugReports: field,
you print out 'The following information may be useful to your bug
report' and dump the relevant things ready for cut n paste into a bug
tracker, then browseURL().

Barry