[Rd] [Fwd: opened symbols in libR.so available.]

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Nov 29 16:15:20 CET 2009

Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've patched Dirk Eddelbuettel's Debian package of R, namely r-base, in
> order to make hidden symbols of the library libR.so available is now
> available:
>
>     http://yziquel.homelinux.org/debian/pool/main/r/r-base/
>
> For instance, the mkPROMISE symbol is available:
>
>> yziquel at seldon:/usr/lib/R/lib$ nm -D libR.so | grep mkPROMISE
>> 000000000011f6f0 T Rf_mkPROMISE
>> yziquel at seldon:/usr/lib/R/lib$
>
> Instructions for my personal repository are available here:
>
>     http://yziquel.homelinux.org/topos/debian-repository.html
>
> I hope this will be useful to people who wish to develop
> things, test things, reverse-engineer things from the libR.so library.
>
> I've been told that there's an interesting scheme, used by r-base-ra, to
> make packages coexist with R. As of now, it simply replaces the Debian
> version number, currently -1, with the Debian version number -1hackable.
>
> All the best,

Umm, you know,

1. there is some reason why not everything is exported from libR.so,
particularly those parts of the API that are matter to change or are
undocumented for other reasons.

2. if you do not want to listen to 1.:
R is open source, hence no need to reverse-engineer or "hack" anything
there, just change the sources and recompile in a way that they export
those names.

Best,
Uwe Ligges