[Rd] Wish for stripchart to handle pch %in% 21:25 with bg (PR#13984)

lobry at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr lobry at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Oct 5 23:05:17 CEST 2009

Full_Name: Jean Lobry
Version: 2.9.0
OS: i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
Submission from: (NULL) (83.197.82.45)

Dear R-core,

I have posted <a href="http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp08/2009-September/212688.html">this</a>
on R-help, and then <a
href="http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/R-devel/2009-September/054929.html">that</a>
on R-Dev.

Looks for me as a documentation bug for the naive user: the documentation for
function stripchart() should state more explicitly that it does not handle
colorized points (i.e. pch in 21:25). I agree that the documentation is
perfectly correct for advanced users, but this is not cristal clear, under
2.9.0, try:

###
x <- round(rnorm(50))
stripchart(x,  pch = 21, col = "black", bg = "pink", method = "jitter")
points(0.5, 1, pch = 21, col = "black", bg = "pink", cex = 2)
###

My wish is either for stripchart() to handle this case or for the documentation
of stripchart() to say more explicitly that it does not handle this case.

Not very important, but this is a real end-user casework. Hope you enjoy how
I was reluctant to submit a "documentation bug" report in this case.

HTH,

Best,

Z.