[Rd] how to document stuff most users don't want to see

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Oct 7 18:31:33 CEST 2009

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Patrick Burns [mailto:pburns at pburns.seanet.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 12:53 AM
> To: spencerg
> Cc: William Dunlap; charlie at stat.umn.edu; r-devel at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Rd] how to document stuff most users don't want to see
>
> I think the problem is more subtle
> than Spencer implies.  It is good
> to have as much documentation as
> possible.  However, if a help file
> is long and complex, then people
> get intimidated and don't read it
> at all.
>
> It would be nice to have a feature
> so that help files can be displayed
> with different levels of detail.

Using a link to another help file is an established
way of doing this.  Help file writers know how to put
in links and readers know how use them. Charlie's
question was how to describe the debugging output
that few people would want to know about.  I don't
think he wanted to write a narrative vignette that
told how to use the debug output to solve problems
but he wanted to make the format of the output
available.  Why not have help(myFunction) say
   debug: a logical scalar saying whether to enable [debugging
      output] or not
just as help(grep) says
   pattern: character string containing a [regular expression]
       (or character string for fixed = TRUE) to be matched
or help(title) says
    quite a bit of mathematical notation is available such as
    sub- and superscripts, greek letters, fractions, etc:
    see [plotmath]
?  (The [] indicates a link to another Rd file that gives more
detail about the matter.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com