[Rd] [R-SIG-Mac] rnorm.halton

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Oct 10 19:56:16 CEST 2009

Christophe,

you're looking at the wrong docs -- normally there is nothing you need
to change FORTRAN code when switching between 32-bit and 64-bit. There
is no separate "64-bit code" or "32-bit code". None of the scalar
types used by R in interfaces changes (int, double and INTEGER, REAL*8
are both the same). You only need to change your code if you make
assumptions about the size of pointers which increases from 4 bytes to
8 bytes (and normally you should not be making those assumptions). I
don't think you should touch any Fortran code.

For the C code, the only thing that changes (beside pointer size) is
"long" data types. If you use those in your code, you must be aware
that the corresponding size change. I suspect that if you have a
discrepancy in your 32/64-bit binaries then you either have a bug
somewhere (Fortran or C) or your C code is not 64-bit clean (i.e.
makes some 32-bit assumptions that are not true in 64-bit environment
- check the use of "long" data types and pointers). Again, the
solution is to fix the code to be clean, it will still be the same for
both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Cheers,
Simon