[Rd] unexpected behavior in list of lexical closures (PR#14004)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Oct 13 13:59:34 CEST 2009

On 13/10/2009 1:50 AM, elliott.forney at gmail.com wrote:
> Full_Name: Elliott Forney
> Version: 2.9.2
> OS: Linux, Fedora 10
> Submission from: (NULL) (129.82.47.235)

This is not a bug, just a consequence of lazy evaluation.  Arguments are
not evaluated when passed, but when first used.  Since the "input"
argument is never evaluated in the commented version of "funk" below, it
isn't evaluated until one of the output functions is evaluated.

It's a good practice to force the evaluation of arguments to function
builders like this, for exactly the reason you saw.  (The force()
function is one way to do it, but any expression evaluating the argument
will work.

Duncan Murdoch