[Rd] Fixing html help port in 2.10

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Oct 16 17:19:45 CEST 2009

Dieter,

On Oct 16, 2009, at 11:01 , Dieter Menne wrote:

> Duncan Murdoch-2 wrote:
>>
>> On 10/16/2009 10:39 AM, Dieter Menne wrote:
>>> I noted that the new html-help in 2.10 under Windows uses a random
>>> port
>>> on my
>>> computer.
>>> This cause a problem, because when I create a link such as:
>>>
>>> http://127.0.0.1:28027/library/stats/html/addmargins.html
>>>
>>> this is for one-time use only. Is it possible to fix the port?
>>
>> Not currently.  If you look in tools:::startDynamicHelp you can see
>> how
>>

> Too bad. When I saw the port, I immediately changed all my static
> links to
> use the ports, because it looked like a good idea to have addresses
> that do
> not change when I install into a new directory.
>
> Back to the drawing board. Maybe I should use R_HOME instead.

You still didn't answer the crucial question -- what are you trying to
do? If whatever you're building has something to do with R then this
is no issue since you get the port from R. And if you're working on
something unrelated to R then nothing prevents you from using the same
approach that old R versions used -- create a "static" file that
points to the correct URL for the current session (like help links in
2.9 and earlier). But again, unless we know what you're up to we can't
help you with solutions...

Cheers,
Simon