[Rd] Goto BLAS

Evan Cooch cooch17 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 17 14:07:30 CEST 2009

I was on the Goto BLAS maillist yesterday, asking some question about
relative speed/performance/tuning of Goto BLAS and (specifically) R.

I received a reply from Kazushige Goto (the developer and maintainer of
Goto BLAS), who as part of his answer to some of my queries made the
following comment concerning R, which I pass along to the R development
team:

"By the way, please ask your R developer to rewrite memory allocation
function including garbage collection. They give 4 byte offset memory
region and never perform well (or it will cause segmentation fault. 4
byte offset is fatal). Since R use complex double precision, memory
alignment should be at least 16 bytes..."

Apparently, Goto has run into some issues with R before.  I'll assume
that some out there will be able to interpret Goto's comment/suggestion.