[Rd] linking to package directories is NOT broken in R >= 2.10 beta

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 17 19:57:38 CEST 2009

When you linked to ../examples/ R was not involved, and what you are
seeing is what your browser did with a file:// url.  Most browsers
will support a wide range of file types, and list directories: but
that is not something that was ever (AFAICS) documented to work.

The 'issue' is your expectations when creating your own
inst/doc/index.html.  The only relative links that are supported by
the help system are to R package help topics and files, to
documentation under R.home("doc") and a limited set of files in a
package's 'doc' directory to support its use for vignettes, including
the ability to list 'doc' itself (if requested in a particular way).

If links to files under <pkg>/example worked, it was a bug. Because of
security concerns over traffic snooping, what you can see through the
dynamic help system is intentionally very limited.  In fact I suspect
they worked for you only because

(i) you installed into .Library
(ii) you had a file for which text/plain worked (and that is because
files that might be in a vignette directory have been checked)..
(iii) you fell into a code branch marked '# should not get here' in
pre-2.10.0 (but absent in R-devel).

The good news is that if you refer to files under the installed 'doc'
directory this should work -- subdirectory listings work now in
R-devel and will probably be ported to 2.10.0 before release.