[Rd] (PR#14012)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Oct 18 00:00:32 CEST 2009

Seth Falcon wrote:
> * On 2009-10-16 at 15:00 +0200 sje30 at damtp.cam.ac.uk wrote:
>> I think Rscript has a problem running files that have mac encodings
>> for newline (^M rather than ^J on linux).  If I source the file within
>> R, it works okay:
>
>>> source('j.R')
>> [1] "MEA_data/sernagor_new/CRX_P7_1.txt"
>>
>> But if I run the file using Rscript on a linux box I get a strange
>> error message:
>>
>> $ Rscript --vanilla j.R
>> "
>> Execution halted
>
> I think you are right that Rscript is unhappy to handle files with CR
> line terminators.  But IIUC, the purpose of Rscript is to enable R
> script execution on unix-like systems like:
>
>    #!/path/to/Rscript --vanilla
>    print(1:10)
>
> So then I'm not sure how useful it is for Rscript to handle such
> files.  Why not convert to a more common and portable line termination
> for your R script files?

Notice also that other script interpreters aren't happy about CR line
endings:

$ cat > x.sh
#!/bin/bash
echo hello

Now change the LF to CR and get

$ ./x.sh
bash: ./x.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

or (if you add a space)

$ ./x.sh
  echo hello: No such file or directory

$ bash -v ./x.sh
  echo hello

(overprinting is involved in the last one).