[Rd] Confusion regarding allocating Matrices.

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 24 19:06:14 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Abhijit Bera <abhibera at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I made a mistake while writing the code. The declaration of Data
> should have been first.

> I still have some doubts:

Because you are making some sweeping and incorrect assumptions about
the way that the internals of R operate.  R allows for arrays to be
dynamically resized but this is accomplished internally by allocating
new storage, copying the current contents to this new location and
installing the values of the new elements.  It is an expensive
operation, which is why it is discouraged.

Your design is deeply flawed.  Go back to the drawing board.

> When you say calloc and realloc are you talking about R's C interface Calloc
> and Realloc or the regular calloc and realloc?

Either one.

> I want to feed data directly into a R matrix and grow it as required. So at
> one time I might have 100 rows coming in from a data source. The next time I
> might have 200 rows coming in from a data source. I want to be able to
> expand the R-matrix instead of creating a regular C float matrix and then
> make an R-matrix based on the new size. I just want to have one R object and
> be able to expand it's size dynamically.

R stores floating-point numbers as the C data type double, not float.
It may seem pedantic to point out distinctions like that but not when
you are writing programs.  Compilers are the ultimate pedants - they
are real sticklers for getting the details right.

As I said, it just doesn't work the way that you think it does.  The
fact that there is an R object with a certain name before and after an
operation doesn't mean it is the same R object.