[Rd] Including a binary Python Interpreter into a binary R-package for MS Windows

Guido van Steen gvsteen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 11:43:22 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 9/4/09, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> MinGW doesn't need to be in the package, because you do not
> want to ship the binaries.

I meant that I would have to include the source code of MinGW, in order to build the MinGW compiler in some writeable directory of the R-user's computer. This is because without MinGW I wouldn't be able to build PyMinGW. (PyMinGW is a version of Python that - unlike the standard version of Python - does not depend on copy-righted MS dlls.)

> ... and perhaps you can even stay with one package rather
> than two for different platforms.

Very true!

Best wishes,

Guido