[Rd] asking for suggestions: interface for a C++ class

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Sep 4 23:21:49 CEST 2009

Yurii,

On Sep 4, 2009, at 16:54 , Yurii Aulchenko wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to have an advice for designing an R library, and
> thought that R-devel may be the best place to ask given so many
> people who are highly expert in R are around.
>
> We are at an early stage of designing an R library, which is
> effectively an interface to a C++ library providing fast access to
> large matrices stored on HDD as binary files.

[FWIW there are already several packages that do waht you describe -
see e.g. ff, bigMemory, nws, ...]

> The core of the C++ library is relatively sophisticated class, which
> we try to "mirror" using an S4 class in R. Basically when a new
> object of that class is initiated, the C++ constructor is called and
> essential elements of the new object are reflected as slots of the R
> object.
>
> Now as you can imagine the problem is that if the R object is
> removed using say "rm" command, and not our specifically designed
> one, the C++ object still hangs around in RAM until R session is
> terminated.

You must have some link between the S4 object and your C++ object -
ideally an external pointer - so all you have to do is to attach a
finalizer to it via R_RegisterCFinalizer or R_RegisterCFinalizerEx. In
that finalizer you simply free the C++ object and all is well.

Note that R uses a garbage collector so the object won't go away
immediately after it went out of scope - only after R thinks it needs
to reclaim memory. You can use gc() to force garbage collection to
test it.

> This is not nice, and also may be a problem, as the C++ object may
> allocate large part of RAM. We can of cause replace generic "rm" and
> "delete" functions, but this is definitely not a nice solution.

... and it doesn't tackle the issue - objects can go out of scope by
other means than just rm(), e.g.:
f <- function() { ...; myGreatObject }
f()
# the great object is gone now since it was not assigned anywhere

> Sounds like rather common problem people may face, but unfortunately
> I was not able to find a solution.

Cheers,
Simon