[Rd] Reissue: Base "Object" class to use in S4 slot specification

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 8 20:12:15 CEST 2009

Simon,
I don't want to get too deep into specific implementations here so we
don't get stuck in the weeds. (The original issue started with a typed
list class infrastructure in BioC's IRanges package that checked to see
if the elements conformed to the expected class.)

To make this issue as narrow as possible for now, I'll rephrase my issue
to be inconsistent behavior between is and extends for class ANY. All
classes (even non-existent ones) extend ANY according to
methods::extends, but only S4 objects are of class ANY according to
methods::is. This could be reconciled if is() checked if
methods:::.identC(class2, "ANY") before it performed an S3Case test.

 > is(factor(), "ANY")
[1] FALSE
 > extends("factor", "ANY")
[1] TRUE
 > is(lm(I(1:10) ~ rnorm(10)), "ANY")
[1] FALSE
 > extends("lm", "ANY")
[1] TRUE
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-09-07 r49613)
i386-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

Patrick