[Rd] Non-GPL packages for R

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Sep 11 00:57:21 CEST 2009

      I will offer my opinion as a user and contributer to R packages
via R-Forge and CRAN:

           1.  How difficult would it be to split CRAN into two parts,
depending on whether the package carried an acceptable license allowing
free distribution?  The second might carry a name like RANC (R Archive
Network - Commercial), and the first would retain the CRAN name.

           2.  R-Forge allows public access to the source code, at least
for some packages.  Moreover, users applying for R-Forge support must
specify the license they plan to use.  Support may be denied for a
project that does not use one of the standard public distribution
licenses like GPL.

      Spencer