[Rd] S3 objects in S4 slots

Martin Kober martin.kober at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 02:23:24 CEST 2009

2009/9/15 John Chambers <jmc at r-project.org>:
> I'll look at this in more detail (though not for a few days), but the
> essence I think is that nothing in the current version allows one to say the
> S3 equivalent of
>
> setClass("VCorpus", contains = "list", ....)
>
> Seems a (minor, I hope) glitch that what Martin K.  tried didn't work:
>    setOldClass(c("VCorpus", "Corpus", "list"))
>
> As far as I can see, setOldClass() should understand the basic data types as
> valid superclasses.
That would be really useful.

Do you think it would be feasible to automatically assume that all S3
objects "contain" their basic data type (like a list, in this case)
for purposes of S4 class matching, when no other information is given?

At least in this specific case, the idea is that corpus objects can be
used as a list of character vectors and code does not need to know
anything about the object structure as long as only the contents of
the list are needed. So (again, in this specific case), I would
consider "defaulting" to the underlying data type optimal.

> Martin Morgan's code is indeed a workaround.  And as Martin Maechler
> commented, the intention is to make S3 and S4 classes play together as much
> as possible.

Thanks to Martin Morgan for the workaround, it works very well.