[Rd] S3 objects in S4 slots

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Thu Sep 17 02:07:58 CEST 2009

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 16/09/2009 12:50 PM, John Chambers wrote:
> <snip>
>> 2. Restricting the revision to setOldClass() leads to a clean
>> concept, and makes the S3 class more compatible with S4 classes.
>> The proposal at the moment is to interpret the setOldClass call much
>> like the corresponding setClass() call above.  The included "list"
>> would be examined to see if it was a valid "data part" in S4 terms.
>> That's a little more general than just giving an object type.  The
>> implementation and interpretation are then simple, and the result
>> should be consistent with the treatment of similar S4 classes.
>>> At least in this specific case, the idea is that corpus objects can be
>>> used as a list of character vectors and code does not need to know
>>> anything about the object structure as long as only the contents of
>>> the list are needed. So (again, in this specific case), I would
>>> consider "defaulting" to the underlying data type optimal.

> I didn't comment on this before, because I think that's a good
> intention, and I think users appreciate all the work you're doing to
> bring it about:  but I'd still stick by my advice not to mix S3 and
> S4.  As a general principle it's better to keep your programming life
> simple.  Don't take advantage of every feature the language offers,
> work within a subset, where you're sure you understand how everything
> works.  Someone like you or either Martin M. has a deep enough
> knowledge of S3 and S4 and how they interact to get away with mixing
> them, but most users don't.
>
> The original question came up because Martin K., working with S4
> objects, wanted to make use of an object from a package that used S3.
> I still think he would have been better off to spend a little bit of
> time writing the function to convert the S3 object into an S4 object,
> and then never having to worry again about the intricacies of how S4
> inheritance interacts with S3 inheritance.

But if the S3 class lives in someone else's package we will now have two
versions with all the well-known headaches that causes.  In  practice,
your advice ends up being a way of discouraging the use of S4 classes
since there are so many legacy S3 classes.

(BTW somewhat in contrast to how I felt at one time, I'm not trying to
dump on S3 classes, after all I'm to blame for much of what's in them.
They are a more casual way to deal with some basic ideas and have a
lower learning barrier.  But we didn't provide the material for as
general or as trustworthy programming with them, so one hopes that users
will feel able to move on as they get deeper into their projects.)

Nobody is forcing people to take advantage of the increased
compatibility but let's try to sort out any problems, as Martin Kober
did here, rather than discouraging the effort.

John