[Rd] Antwort: Re: Memory-management crash with UTF-8 on Windows (PR#13956)

g.russell at eos-solutions.com g.russell at eos-solutions.com
Thu Sep 17 12:20:12 CEST 2009

Dear Professor Ripley,
a. I apologise for not including the file. I sent the E-Mail to=20
R-bugs at r-project.org with an attachment, but the attachment evidently got=20
lost. However the text of the file is as follows:

--- CUT HERE ----
gctorture()
characters <- intToUtf8(200:300)
indices <- rep(sequence(5),10)
substrings <- substring(characters,indices,indices + 5)
factor(substrings)
--- CUT HERE ---

b. There is no Unicode file involved, the Unicode comes from the=20
"intToUtf8" function.
c. The operating system is Windows XP Professional (2002), Service Pack 2.
d. I have just tried installing R 2.9.2. This also crashes.

Best wishes,

George Russell

EOS Risk Management
KG EOS Holding GmbH & Co | Steindamm 71, 20099 Hamburg  | AG Hamburg HRA=20
95 748
Tel:  +49 (0)40 2850-1574 | g.russell at eos-solutions.com
Fax:  +49 (0)40 2850-1559 | http://www.eos-solutions.com

Pers=F6nlich haftend  | EOS Holding GmbH  | AG Hamburg HRB 78 748
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer | Hans-Werner Scherer, Klaus Engberding, Justus=20
Hecking-Veltman, Dr. Axel Steuernagel, Dr. Andreas Witzig, Paul Leary sen.
Vorsitzender des Beirates | J=FCrgen Schulte-Laggenbeck=20

Diese E-Mail enth=E4lt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich gesch=FCtzte=20
Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail =

irrt=FCmlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und =

vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte=20
Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you=20
are not the intended recipient or have received this email in error,=20
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any=20
unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this=20
email is strictly forbidden.=20

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>=20
17.09.2009 10:39

An
g.russell at eos-solutions.com
Kopie
r-devel at stat.math.ethz.ch, R-bugs at r-project.org
Thema
Re: [Rd] Memory-management crash with UTF-8 on Windows (PR#13955)

Without the file, we can do nothing with this, so please put it=20
somewhere accessible.  Also, we need exact reproduction instructions:=20
how did you tell R this was a UTF-8 file?  If you copy-pasted it, what=20
did you copy it from?

The posting guide and FAQ did ask you not to report on obsolete=20
versions of R, so please do test a current version before replying=20
with details of where the file is.

It would also be helpful to have your exact OS, as the error appears=20
to be in MSVCRT.dll, an operating system component.

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, g.russell at eos-solutions.com wrote:

> --=3D=5Fmixed 00289247C1257634=5F=3D
>
> Dear R-Bugs,
>
> thank you for your wonderful software, which we use a lot. We are having =

a =3D

> bit of difficulty right now because it crashes sometimes with Unicode=3D20
> characters.
>
> Actual sessionInfo:
>
> R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)=3D20
> i386-pc-mingw32=3D20
>
> locale:
>=20
LC=3D5FCOLLATE=3D3DGerman=3D5FGermany.1252;LC=3D5FCTYPE=3D3DGerman=3D5FGerm=
any.1252;LC=3D
>=20
=3D5FMONETARY=3D3DGerman=3D5FGermany.1252;LC=3D5FNUMERIC=3D3DC;LC=3D5FTIME=
=3D3DGerman=3D5FG=3D
> ermany.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base=3D20
>
> We can crash R by reading or copy-pasting the following file into it=20
(for=3D20
> example, Rgui --vanilla).
>
> I see a message "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library", "Runtime=20
Error!".=3D20
> If you do not, please let me know and I'll try installing 2.9.2 and see=20
if =3D

> that fixes the problem (the list of bug fixes doesn't seem to include=20
this =3D

> one, but I'm not sure).
>
> Many thanks and best wishes,
>
> George Russell