[Rd] Package crashes R under Windows Vista

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Sat Sep 19 12:20:05 CEST 2009

Dear Duncan,

I know that I am asking an unusual question, since MS VC++ is not
supported, and I have of course installed the Rtools. However, asking
support from MS is not an option for the following reason:

Looking at different VC forums everybody tells you that you should
compile all libraries with the same option and you should not mix
options /MD with /MT, and this is the answer I will get.

Furthermore, as I have already mentioned, library xps.dll compiled with
/MD works perfectly fine on WinXP and Vista when used independent from
R. The problem is that when calling library(xps) from within R, R can
load library xps.dll, but it cannot load the libraries which are called
from library xps.dll such as library libCore.dll.

Since the question is why can R not load a C++ library which is called
from library xps.dll, asking this question at R-devel seems for me to be
the only option.

Best regards
Christian