[Rd] How do I access class slots from C?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 29 18:17:51 CEST 2009

Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Abhijit,
>
> as for your subject - it's GET_SLOT,
> but why don't you just use ParseVector and eval instead of hand-crafting
> C code that calls the evaluator? That latter is way more error prone and
> the error-handling is a nightmare (your current code is inefficient
> anyway so you don't gain anything).

My 2 cents: constructing language calls seems much more appropriate than
parsing expressions when the values to be used are from programming
variables, as is likely the case in most real applications? And
accessing slots with GET_SLOT seems to break the (hard-won) abstraction
layer of S4, so better to call the R accessors (even when this is
inefficient computationally) especially when using objects from packates
whose internals you do not control.

One particular part of the code below

PROTECT(e=lang4(install("c"),mkString("SBI"),mkString("SPI"),mkString("SII")));

could be re-written as

   SEXP x = PROTECT(NEW_CHARACTER(3));
   SET_STRING_ELT(x, 0, mkChar("SBI"));
   etc

In the original, although the outer PROTECT is unnecessary, I wonder
about the mString()... calls, which are not guaranteed to be evaluated
in order and produce unprotected CHARSXPs (prior to being protected
inside lang4). I'm not really sure about the mkChar() in the above,
either, and whether there is an opportunity for garbage collection in
SET_VECTOR_ELT.

Martin