[Rd] Problems connecting to httpd help server with some browsers

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Sep 29 22:50:22 CEST 2009

Thomas,

On Sep 29, 2009, at 15:15 , Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> sorry to provide only very little testing, but with the release date
> nearing, I thought it better to report this quickly than to wait for
> an uncertain period until I find more time.

Yes, good thinking :).

> I'm observing strange problems connecting to the httpd help server
> with
> konqueror (KDE 4.3.1):
>
> options (help_type="html")
> options (browser="konqueror")
> help ("print")
>
> The first page opens in a konqueror window as expected. However,
> clicking on
> any links does not have any result. Konqueror just says "waiting for
> reply"
> forever. There does not even seem to be a timeout. Pointing the same
> browser
> instance to some other url works fine.
>
> Trying to use lynx as a browser (since it's a terminal browser, you
> need open
> lynx in a separate terminal and point it to the httpd help server
> manually)
> causes lynx to become unresponsive.

I don't have konqueror at hand, so I have tested and fixed the lynx
case (lynx is acting as an HTTP/1.0 client and expects non-persistent
connection). With some luck the fix may solve the konqueror issue as
well (although I'd be a bit surprised if konqueror was not 1.1-
capable..).

Thanks,
Simon