[Rd] build issues on Solaris (PR#13975)

rsparapa at mcw.edu rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Sep 29 23:10:12 CEST 2009

Full_Name: Rodney Sparapani
Version: 2.9.2
OS: Solaris 10
Submission from: (NULL) (141.106.121.40)

There are a few issues with building on Solaris (and UNIX in general, I
suppose).
1. on line 50686 of configure, I'm seeing some trouble:
lib=`echo ${lib}|sed -e s:${JAVA_HOME}:\$\{JAVA_HOME\}:g`
Evidently, $lib contains colons which will confuse sed, so you can work around
this like:
lib=`echo ${lib}|sed -e s@${JAVA_HOME}@\$\{JAVA_HOME\}@g`
2. in various Makefiles, FRONTFILES is blank which causes the error:
syntax error at line 1 : `;' unexpected
FRONTFILES is only necessary in one Makefile:
src/library/stats/Makefile
Therefore, adding the following in that file:
.PHONY: frontfiles

frontfiles:
	@for f in $(FRONTFILES); do \
	  if test -f $(srcdir)/$${f}; then \
	    $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/$${f} \
	      $(top_builddir)/library/$(pkg); \
	  fi; \
	done

with the associated change of front to frontfiles a few lines above.  And
changing:
share/make/basepkg.mk
as follows:
front:
#	@for f in $(FRONTFILES); do \
#	  if test -f $(srcdir)/$${f}; then \
#	    $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/$${f} \
#	      $(top_builddir)/library/$(pkg); \
#	  fi; \
#	done
fixes that problem.
3. If you try to configure after a make distclean, I get the error:
config.status: error: cannot find input file: etc/Makefile.in
You can workaround this, by starting all over with a fresh unpacking of that
tgzball.