[Rd] How to compile R with command completion?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:13:28 CEST 2009

I compiled R-2.9.2 from source on Cent OS. But the compile R program
does not support command completion.

I get the following configure output that is related to readline. Why
'rl_completion_matches' doesn't exist? How should I make R support
command completion?

===================
checking readline/history.h usability... yes
checking readline/history.h presence... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no
checking for main in -lncurses... yes
checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... yes
checking for history_truncate_file... yes
checking whether rl_completion_matches exists and is declared... no

checking readline/history.h usability... yes
checking readline/history.h presence... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no
checking for main in -lncurses... yes
checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... yes
checking for history_truncate_file... yes
checking whether rl_completion_matches exists and is declared... no
=====================

Here is my sessionInfo() of the compiled R.
=========================
$ R

R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
Copyright (C) 2009 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages: