[Rd] How to enable core dump?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 11:28:17 CEST 2010

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, Wincent wrote:

> Dear all, I encountered a core dump like this,

Or it seems, *no* core dump!

> (R:24072): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_display: assertion
> `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
>
> *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x78, cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
> Selection: 1
> aborting ...
> Segmentation fault
>
> When I select 1, there is still no saved core dump. I guess because it is
> not enabled. May I ask how to enable this option? Thanks.

What are your OS and shell (R has not disabled it, but your OS
probably has)?  The usual way to disable this is to set the limit on
the coredumpsize to 0, and this seems a common default these days.

In csh, use e.g. limit coredumpsize 2000, in bash use e.g. ulimit -c 2000:
on my system the limits are in kbytes.