[Rd] Serial connections?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 21 14:07:19 CEST 2010

Philippe,

unfortunately that approach has one major drawback - it does not give you a connection. As I said in the previous e-mail it is fairly easy to talk to a tty directly, but the challenge is to turn it into a connection. I don't like the Tcl approach for several reasons, one of them being that it's entirely unnatural since you have to construct strings of code -- you could as well use rJava and Java serial connections which has a little more friendly syntax (but I wouldn't recommend that, either) or any other language R interfaces to.

I was thinking about it a bit and I may be tempted to have a dab at a tty connection, but I still would not want to mess with ioctl (the other part Matt mentioned).

Cheers,
Simon