[Rd] Lapack, determinant, multivariate normal density, solution to linear system, C language

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:11:34 CEST 2010

Douglas,

Thanks for your reply. I took your suggestion and tried the Cholesky
factorization with dppsv, the positive definite version of dspsv. I
found dppsv to be a great deal faster than dspsv, as might be expected
since dspsv uses a more complicated factorization. However, I ran into
trouble with computational singularities with dppsv. In this particular
case, I don't mind having least squares solutions that aren't unique.
The dspsv routine appears to be more robust in this regard. The speed is
sufficiently improved with dppsv that I opted to use both in the code,
trying dppsv first, then dspsv if dppsv fails.

I agree, packed storage was more trouble than it was worth in this case,
but yielded mild to moderate improvements in speed and memory usage.
Addressing the elements of a packed matrix can be complicated, but it
makes a difference whether it's upper packed, or lower packed. To
address each type of matrix, I use the following macros

//address upper triangular packed storage matrix
//a00, a01, a11, a02, a12, a22, a03, a13, a23, a33, ...
//0 <= i <= j < n
#define UMAT(i, j) (i + j * ( j + 1 ) / 2)

//address symmetric full storage (by column) matrix
//a00, a10, ..., an0, a01, a11, ..., an1, ...
//0 <= i, j < n
#define FMAT(i, j, n) (i + j * n)

//address lower triangular packed storage matrix
//a00, a10, ... ,an0, a11, a21, ..., an1, a22, a32, ...
//0 <= j <= i < n
#define LMAT(i, j, n) (i + j * ( 2 * n - j + 1 ) / 2)

Notice that UMAT doesn't require the matrix dimension n! Hence, when n
is retrieved from memory, it may be more efficient to address an upper
packed storage matrix than a full storage matrix. I'll have to test this
theory, though it's probably compiler dependent.

Thanks again,

-Matt