[Rd] Miktex does not work with R CMD check

Ulrike Grömping groemping at bht-berlin.de
Sun Apr 25 18:57:59 CEST 2010

Dear DevelopeRs,

the issue I am stuck with (I am on Windows, R-2.11): My Miktex (version
2.8) does not work with R CMD check, although Miktex on its own can
pdflatex the tex-file in the Rcheck directory. (This issue has been
going on for a while, and now, after having updated to R-2.11, I finally
want to get it fixed.) Although I have found several similar posts, none
of the answers appears to solve my problem, which seems to be
path-related. In case it is relevant: in the past, I did have issues
with paths to "my documents" because these contain a German Umlaut on my
computer, which is why I moved all R packages to the directory c:/rtests.

I would appreciate any help on this issue. The relevant portion of R CMD
check and the content of Rdlatex.log are included below.

Best regards,
Ulrike

The end of the R CMD check output looks like this:

* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
* checking PDF version of manual without index ... ERROR
LaTeX error when running command:
  Rcmd.exe Rd2dvi --batch --no-preview --pdf
    --build-dir=C:/WINDOWS/Temp/Rd2dvi611638299 --no-clean --no-index -o
    DoE.base-manual.pdf >/dev/null 2>&1 C:/rtests/DoE.base.Rcheck/DoE.base
Re-running with no redirection of stdout/stderr.

The file Rdlatex.log contains the following text:

Hmm ... looks like a package
latex.exe: A required file system path could not be retrieved.
latex.exe: Data: 28
Creating pdf output from LaTeX ...
pdflatex.exe: A required file system path could not be retrieved.
pdflatex.exe: Data: 28
Error in running pdflatex command ('pdflatex')
You may want to clean up by 'rm -rf C:/WINDOWS/Temp/Rd2dvi611638299'