[Rd] Memory allocation in C/C++ vs R?

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 20:51:53 CEST 2010

Thanks for the clarification Simon,

I think it is safe (R-safe?) to say that if there are no exceptions or errors
on either side, then it is highly likely that everything is fine.

When there are errors or exceptions, it is probably NOT safe to try to
recover. Better to terminate the R session, insert some debug print statements
(or breakpoints), and try to figure out what caused the problem.

In other words, it works when it works.

This does not address the static initializer issue.

The good news is that R with C++/STL seems to work most of the
time, on all of the architectures for which CRAN builds a binary.

Thanks again,
Dominick