[Rd] readline operate-and-get-next

Rafael Laboissiere rafael.laboissiere at inserm.fr
Sat Aug 7 13:07:40 CEST 2010

Both Bash and Octave have a nifty addition to the readline library called
"operate-and-get-next", bound to "C-o".  This function accepts the
current line for execution and fetch the next line relative to the
current line from the history for editing (see
http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_101.html).

This feature has a huge impact in my productivity using Bash and Octave
interactively, since it avoids those numerous arrow key strokes in order
to rerun a previous block of commands.

I looked at the Bash sources and it does not seem too complicate to
implement.  Octave has borrowed practically the same code from Bash.
Before I start looking at the R code, I would like to know whether the R
developers had already planned to include the operate-and-get-next
feature into R.

Best regards,

Rafael Laboissiere