[Rd] segfault in embedded r after call to repldlldo1

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Aug 20 18:48:36 CEST 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Carl Martin Grewe wrote:

> Dear R developers,
>
> i've got a question concerning an embedded R instance. I called the initialization routines as seen in the "writing extensions" guide (Rf_initialize, setup_Rmainloop and R_ReplDLLinit). I also changed the function callback pointer of readconsole and writeconsoleex to my local functions.
>
> when i call mainloop there is no problem and the commands are evaluated as expected. because i don't want R to run in an own thread and my app should keep the control i want to use repldlldo1. within the readconsole as long as i copy commandlines containing valid R commands function to R's buffer all things are fine. but when i copy a non valid command, R singals segfault after passing the error message, that the given object is not valid. this happens in call to eval(R_CurrentExpr, rho) in repldlldo1. i tried to comapare both ways (mainloop vs. repldlldo+repldllinit) but actually cannot find a significant difference.

I fear we can't help you without a reproducible example. One thing to keep in mind is that R_ReplDLLinit uses setjmp to setup the top-level context so you have to make sure you're not using any local variables that could be on the stack from R_ReplDLLdo1 as it will get lost (and function calls of course).

Cheers,
Simon