[Rd] R-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 20

Laurent lgautier at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 09:32:15 CEST 2010

On 21/08/10 23:31, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2010, at 8:46 AM, Laurent wrote:

>> (...)

>> For experimentation purpose, the rpy2 project is finalizing a
>> system to allow Python-written graphical devices (no C-level R
>> extensions, just Python). Beside other niceties, it will allow
>> working around the lack of connection API in R for graphics. Since
>> Python makes the use of file-like objects straightforward, we plan
>> providing devices that are streams (nice for serving graphics from
>> web applications without having to worry about temp files).
>>

> Well, that doesn't help with the issue we raised since you still
> cannot use R connections.

I do think it will in the use-case proposed: have R serve graphics
without having to worry about writing temp files.
Python is somewhat used in the web applications world, and what is
proposed allows serving graphics without a temp file in sight.

> It's trivial to modify any of the existing
> devices (e.g. Cairo as I said) to support in-memory storage as they
> already support that internally - certainly much easier that to mess
> with Python etc.

I have been neck-deep in R C-level code for devices when working on
that, and ended up with the exact opposite opinion.

> Nonetheless, yes, it is another way along the lines
> of xGD, JavaGD etc.

Thanks for the pointer. I did not know about them.
JavaGD might well be the most helpful thing then (if Donald had in mind
to do the web handling made in Java).

Best,

Laurent