[Rd] No RTFM?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 20:31:46 CEST 2010

Hey Ben:

One of my colleagues bought your book and was reading it during a
faculty meeting last Tuesday.  Everybody kept asking what's that?

If you know how to put it in the wiki, would you please do it and let
us know where it is.  I was involved with an R wiki about 5 or 6 years
ago, but completely lost track of it.

I'm going to keep pushing for sharp, clear guidelines.  If I could get
R-help set up as a template for messages like  bugzilla, I think it
would be awesome! To disagree with Ted. People won't mind giving us
what we need, as long as we tell them exactly what to do. We save
ourselves the circle of "give us sessionInfo()" and "give us your
LANG" and 'what version is that' and so forth.

But I'll consider it a victory if we can get the requirement of
sessionInfo() in as the first thing in the posting guide !

I agree that "which packages can we help with" in r-help is a good
question. I had in mind that we should field questions about anything
in the R tarball, including the recommended ones. I think I did not
use the right words when I tried to express that.  Maybe we just need
to list the packages to be clear.  Things like "foreign" that have
passed from the ownership of the original writer to the R Core Team
are certainly eligible.

I also admit that I have not looked at R-FAQ since about 2005, and I
don't want to duplicate that effort.  If R-FAQ has a nice concise list
of ways to get information about specific things, the posting guide
might just refer to that section by name/number, rather than
duplicate.  I'm torn here, because people often assume that if you
give them a link, it must not be important (thats why you left it
out).

pj

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science