[Rd] No RTFM?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 18:06:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Michael Dewey <info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> The thing I find most rude on the list is not the occasional abrupt postings
> by people who are obviously having a bad day but the number of fairly long
> exchanges which end unresolved as the OP never bothers to post a conclusion
> and we never know whether we solved his/her problem.
> I am not asking for thanks but we would all benefit from knowing how it all
> turned out.

 The elephant in the room is, I think, the idea that maybe mailing
lists have had their day - if R-help was a web-based forum then
threads could be moderated by a group of privileged individuals, or
rated by users. Basically, stackoverflow.com

For anyone who has never visited:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r

Good answers get modded up, bad ones slide off.

 I'm considering unsubbing from r-help, and adding the R feed from
stackoverflow to my RSS reader...

Barry