[Rd] small syntax suggestion

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Aug 24 22:24:00 CEST 2010

In the mean time you could have student run the following code each time (put it into .Rprofile or something) until they learn good coding practices:

testfunc <- function(expr, value, ok, visible) {
	tmp <- deparse(expr)
	if( grepl( '<- *[0-9.]+ *[])&|]', tmp ) ) {
		warning(' You used "<-" in the above expression,\nit was interpreted as an assignment\nif you wanted a comparison, use a space between the "<" and the "-"')
	}
	TRUE
}

addTaskCallback( testfunc )

you might want to change the warning to cat (and add \n), or extend the regular expression logic to other cases, or ...

But if nothing else getting the warning will reinforce that parens/spaces are a good idea if only to avoid the computer complaining.  The problem is I can think of some false positives that I have not worked out yet how to avoid.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org