[Rd] Trying to configure R to use acml_mp

szembek swz1316 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 17:56:02 CEST 2010

Ok, I have verified that ACML appears to be working because when I run

set.seed (1)
m <- 10000
n <-  5000
A <- matrix (runif (m*n),m,n)
system.time (B <- crossprod(A))

It multi threads properly. My initial test script doesn't seem to utilize
multiple cores, I am going to paste it below if anyone has any insight as to
why R can't multithread this particular operation. It seems it might just be
a code optimization problem on our end, at least I know that R is configured
to use multiple cores when it can now.

Y <- rnorm(1e5)
X <- matrix(as.factor(rep(1:1e2, 5e3)), 1e5, 10)
system.time(fit <- lm(Y~X[,1] + X[,2] + X[,3] + X[,4] + X[,5]))

Thanks