[Rd] reliability of R-Forge? (moving to r-Devel)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:22:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Spencer Graves
<spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com> wrote:
>  Hello:
>

>      Can anyone comment on plans for R-Forge?  Please see thread below.
>

>      Ramsay, Hooker and I would like to release a new version of "fda" to
> CRAN.  We committed changes for it last Friday.  I'd like to see reports of
> their "daily checks", then submit to CRAN from R-Forge.  Unfortunately, it
> seems to be down now, saying "R-Forge Could Not Connect to Database:".  I
> just tried, 'install.packages("fda", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")',
> and got the previous version, which indicates that my changes from last
> Friday have not been built yet.  Also, a few days ago, I got an error from
> 'install.packages("pfda", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")' (a
> different package, 'pfda' NOT 'fda').  I don't remember the error message,
> but this same command worked for me just now.
>

>      I infer from this that I should consider submitting the latest version
> of 'fda' to CRAN manually, not waiting for the R-Forge [formerly] "daily"
> builds and checks.
>

>      R-Forge is an incredibly valuable resource.  It would be even more
> valuable if it were more reliable.  I very much appreciate the work of the
> volunteers who maintain it;  I am unfortunately not in a position to
> volunteer to do more for the R-Project generally and R-Forge in particular
> than I already do.

I haven't tried it but I understand from the r-forge manual that it
now supports foreign subversion repositories.  One could host
software on googlecode or other free subversion repository and still
have it available through r-forge.  That way you could access the
software even if r-forge were down.

If anyone gets this to work and can post detailed instructions it
would be helpful.

--
GKX Group
GKX Associates Inc.