[Rd] [Rcpp-devel] GPL and R Community Policies (Rcpp)

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Wed Dec 1 23:18:39 CET 2010

> Perhaps a wider community of R users can weigh in on a
> policy decision that was implicitly deemed acceptable on this
> thread. Namely, that it is fine to arbitrarily and
> for no reason deprecate the contributions of past
> authors, and as more progress is made, even more
> disparaging remarks can be added.

What is disparaging about saying "a small portion of the code is based
on code written during 2005 and 2006 by Dominick Samperi"? I read this
as a factual statement saying that the current version of Rcpp is
based on, in a small way, your earlier work.

For reference, a disparaging comment would be something like: "This
package was based code written by Hadley Wickham that made my eyes
bleed", or "The development of this package was driven by the godawful
code that Hadley wrote".

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/