[Rd] [Rcpp-devel] GPL and R Community Policies (Rcpp)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Dec 2 02:21:35 CET 2010

Hi, Dominick, et al.:

       I know nothing about about Rcpp, it's history and the
contributions of Dominick and anyone else.  I think everyone should be
appropriately recognized for their contributions.

       However, I feel compelled to briefly outline personal experiences
with collaborators who were so concerned that their contribution be
properly recognized that it limited our success.  To successfully
commercialize the ideas, we needed the collaboration of others.
However, my collaborators' excessive concern about getting "their share"
made it exceedingly and unreasonably difficult to obtain the extra help
we needed.

       A famous example of this was the Wright Brothers.  They  invented
the airplane and spent much of the rest of their lives trying to defend
their patent.  Wilbur was dead long before it was settled, and Orville
got so little from it that it was clearly a massive waste of their
time.  Moreover, "The legal threat suppressed development of the U.S.
aviation industry."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wright_brothers_patent_war)

       I sincerely hope that this present discussion can be settled in a
way that does not damage the incredibly productive collaboration that
has made R the overwhelming success it is.  The future of humanity is
brighter because R makes it easier (a) for scientists to better
understand the things they study and (b) for common people to better
understand and manage the problems they face.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD