[Rd] Competing with one's own work

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Dec 3 18:01:15 CET 2010

Dear Duncan,

What constitutes a convincing argument for making significant changes?
Taking the example of optimization algorithms (say, for smooth objective
functions), how does one make a convincing argument that a particular class
of algorithms are "better" than another class? This can be a difficult task,
but quite doable with good benchmarking practices.

Supposing for the moment that such a convincing argument has been made, is
that sufficient to get the R-core to act upon it?  Are there compelling
factors other than just "algorithm A is better than algorithm B"?

I'd think that the argument is relatively easy if the need for the change is
driven by consumer demand. But, even here I am not sure how to make an
argument to the R-core to consider the big changes.  For example, there is a
reasonable demand for constrained (smooth) optimization algorithms in R
(based on R-help queries).  Currently, there are only 3 packages that can
handle this.  However, in the base distribution only `constrOptim' function
is provided, which cannot handle anything more than linear, inequality
constraints.  I think that the base distribution needs to have a package for
constrained optimization that can handle linear/nonlinear and
equality/inequality constraints.

John, thanks for raising an important issue.

Thanks & Best,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns
Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu