[Rd] Suggested change to integrate.Rd (was: Re: 0.5 != integrate(dnorm, 0, 20000) = 0)

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Dec 8 16:43:46 CET 2010

Hi,

My honest and (not so) humble opinion is that no amount of clear and
explicit warning can totally prevent the inappropriate use of any tool.
Users will continue to use the tools, without doing the necessary background
work to figure out whether the that tool is the appropriate one for their
particular problem.  If things can go so horribly wrong in such a simple
case, imagine all the snares and traps present in complex, high-dimensional
integration.  Even the best cubature rules or the MCMC methods can give
wrong results.  Even worse, how in heaven's name can we be sure that the
answer is any good?  The simple and best solution is to understand your
integrand as best as you can.  I realize that this may be viewed as being
too pedantic, but unfortunately, it is also the best advice.

Best,
Ravi.
Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns
Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu