[Rd] LazyLoad changes the class of objects

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 00:49:52 CET 2010

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 8:59 AM, Luke Tierney <luke at stat.uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Yes, attributes are not preserved, though why that should matter
> given the frequent strong recommendations in this list against
> using attributes on environments or other reference objects is
> beyond me. More importantly, locking and active bindings are not
> preserved either.  Will look into fixing this this 2.7.

1. The above message from 2007 was about the possibility of fixing the
fact that attributes on top level environments are stripped if
LazyLoad: yes in a package's DESCRIPTION file.   (They are not
stripped if LazyLoad: false so that case works as expected -- its only
the LazyLoad: true case that has this behavior.)  Can this be finally
fixed?

2. There was an R News article at the time that mentioned an
undocumented 25K code size threshold that determined whether LazyLoad
was turned on or off in those cases where LazyLoad was not specified
in the DESCRIPTION file.  Is that still the case?   If not then what
is the default?  Its not mentioned in the R-ext manual.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com