[Rd] [R] Suppressing scientific notation on plot axis tick labels (PR#14202)

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Feb 2 13:25:09 CET 2010

On 02/02/2010 6:20 AM, Dimitri Shvorob wrote:
> Ruben Roa has kindly suggested using 'scipen' option - cf.
>
>> fixed notation will be preferred unless it is more than ‘scipen’ digits
>> wider.
>
> However,
>
> options(scipen = 50)
> x  = c(1e7, 2e7)
> barplot(x)
>
> still does not produce the desired result.

This is strange.  I see what you describe the first time through, but
if I print the option I get the non-scientific labels on the second plot:

options(scipen = 50)
x  = c(1e7, 2e7)
barplot(x)
options("scipen")
barplot(x)

Looks like some sort of caching bug to me.  I don't think I'll have time
to track this down; this is a crazy week.  I see the same thing in
R-devel as in 2.10.1.

Duncan Murdoch

Version:
  platform = i386-pc-mingw32
  arch = i386
  os = mingw32
  system = i386, mingw32
  status =
  major = 2
  minor = 10.1
  year = 2009
  month = 12
  day = 14
  svn rev = 50720
  language = R
  version.string = R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)

Windows XP (build 2600) Service Pack 3

Locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_Canada.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_Canada.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_Canada.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_Canada.1252

Search Path:
  .GlobalEnv, package:stats, package:graphics, package:grDevices,
package:utils, package:datasets, package:methods, Autoloads, package:base