[Rd] Copyright on src/nmath/qnorm.c

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Feb 11 14:49:13 CET 2010

David Heffernan wrote:
> At the top of src/nmath/qnorm.c it is stated:
>
>  *  Copyright (C) 1998       Ross Ihaka
>  *  Copyright (C) 2000--2005 The R Development Core Team
>  *  based on AS 111 (C) 1977 Royal Statistical Society
>  *  and   on AS 241 (C) 1988 Royal Statistical Society
>
> The routine is in fact an f2c'd version of AS241 from StatLib:
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/apstat/241 and http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/apstat/
>
> It seems odd to me that this is re-licensed under GPL and copyright asserted to
> be held by R Development Core Team.  I expect that if I looked further I could
> find plenty of other routines with a similar heritage.

(a) We sought permission from the RSS to use the Applied Statistics
algorithms in R, and GPL was mentioned in the discussions. There is a
list of such algorithms in doc/COPYRIGHTS.

(b) Multiple copyright statements refer to _changes_ to code (RSS does
not automatically obtain copyright for our modifications, including the
f2c translation), and as such, the headers are accurate.

Peter D.