[Rd] R_LIBS_USER bugs

Seth Falcon seth at userprimary.net
Wed Feb 17 16:49:20 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2/16/10 10:31 AM, Jens Elkner wrote:
> Having currently a big problem with R 2.10.1 vanilla (Solaris):
>
> As soon as the R_LIBS_USER env var gets bigger than 1023 chars R
> completely ignores it and uses the default:

I guess the first question is, why do need such a long list of library
directories?

>> Sys.getenv('R_LIBS_USER');
>                                           R_LIBS_USER
> "${R_LIBS_USER-~/R/i386-pc-solaris2.11-library/2.10}"

I see the same thing with R-devel on OS X.  I can set R_LIBS_USER from
within R using Sys.setenv to a value longer than 1024 and retrieve it
again.  But if I have such a value in my shell, it gets overwritten.

I'm not yet sure what is going on.

+ seth