[Rd] Where does install.R go when R gets compiled? Or, how to experiment with changes to install.R?

Jens Elkner jel+r at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Feb 18 21:20:31 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:33:14AM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
Hello, everybody.

> I apologize if this is obvious.  I've not tried to make changes in R
> code within the R source itself before.
>
> I'm pursuing an experiment to make RPM files for R packages
> on-the-fly. Any time I install an R package successfully, I want to
> wrap up those files in an RPM.   Basically, the idea is to "hack" an
> option similar to --build for R CMD INSTALL.

Hmm, why not take the easy way:

    clean_dst $PROTO
    cd $TMPBUILD
    mkdir -p $PROTO/R/library
    $R_HOME/bin/R CMD INSTALL -l $PROTO/R/library $TMPBUILD

$PROTO is the directory, where the R module gets installed (e.g. /tmp/R),
$TMPBUILD is the directory with the R module sources (e.g. /tmp/build/quantreg)
and the rest is obvious.

Than you need to care about/package $PROTO/R/library, only.

Built about 150 R packages this way 4 Solaris without any pkg problems ...

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2