[Rd] R logo as SVG ?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Feb 27 10:18:23 CET 2010

Jens Elkner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 01:14:51PM +0100, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> sorry for the later answer - had to finish other tasks first :(
>
>> I played around with inkscape again (& it IS a time sink...) The
>> attached version is around 200K and not too bad looking to my eyes. How
>> does it work for your purposes?
>
> Yes - still a little bit big (most are usually not bigger than 50K, but
> some exceptions hav 80..100K), but much better than 2M and sufficient
> IMHO, too.

[AFAIR, this didn't go via r-devel, so people here won't have seen it
before]

I suppose I should put it somewhere for others to play with. It should
be possible to reduce the number of colour layers and get down to  the
50 K or so, but it is quite fiddly. I found that if you put inkscape in
"outline mode", then you can manipulate the Bezier curves directly and
get rid of the artifacts from the bitmap tracing. Currently, it has
about 64 paths of about 60 control points each, so it might be a better
strategy to start over with a coarser trace.

> Installed the package (see
> http://dev.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/lnf/i386/R/LNFr-desktop/ ) -> looks
> ok in the GNOME menu and nautilus. If you want to test it yourself
> on Linux or Solaris (procedure is the same for freedesktops aka Solaris
> and Linux ;-)), copy the 3 files to the same location and call
> update-desktop-database ; update-mime-database $instdir/share/mime
>
> Than the menu entries appear immediately in the GNOME application menu
> (nautilus needs to be restarted to get the "news" aka icon displayed
> for *.R).

Mmm, I'm changing jobs on Monday and I expect to be out cold for a
while, switching computer platform and getting up to speed in general.
Any chance of a couple of screenshots?

> Currently the last thing I'm thinking about is: "with '-g Tk' start
> Rcmdr if available, otherwise tkStartGUI()". Would you mind to integrate
> that into the official R tree? I know, its more or less easy to modify
> library/tcltk/exec/Tk-frontend.R, however admins as well as package
> creators/maintainers don't like, when one package modifies the content
> of another one and have to keep track of changes, i.e. need to do more
> or less "sophisticated" things, when they get removed ...

This sounds a bit far-reaching. The "-g Tk" route is a bit of a kludge
already, so everything is in for a review and I'd rather not build
things on top of a crumbling foundation.

You might be able to do something with environment variables and
.Rprofile files instead. (I was about to suggest 'R -e something' but
Rcmdr refuses to start in a non-interactive session).